Monday, February 21, 2011

Set Goals in 3 Easy Steps

Many of us start the New Year off with resolutions. How many of you keep your resolutions? How many of you have either thrown those resolutions out or have slacked off on them already? I know I don't stick to my resolutions so I no longer make resolutions at the start of the New Year. Instead I go through a 3-step process to get myself ready and to set goals.

STEP 1: 



I write out what I accomplished or achieved last year so then I can focus on what I intend to accomplish or achieve this coming year. I actually make a list so it is in front of me and I can refer back to it when I need to. This does two things for me. First, it gives me a sense of accomplishment for what I did last year (and it makes me feel good!). Second, it gives me perspective and direction for this New Year. Once I've done this, I'm ready to move on to my next step.

STEP 2:  



I go through the Start / Stop / Continue routine. I consider what I want to START doing this year, what I want to STOP doing and what I want to CONTINUE doing. For example, I want to start being more purposeful; I want to have real purpose in the things that I take on this year. I want to stop getting sucked into things that I really don't want to do. One of the most important things I've learned this past year is that "No" is a complete sentence and I'm going to use it this year. This will be a tough one for me but I am determined to incorporate this into my goals. Lastly, I will continue to set boundaries so that I have the family time I want. That includes knowing when to turn off e-mail, limiting evening meetings, and all those things that creep into our schedules and take away our family time.

STEP 3: 



When it's time to set my actual goals, it's important that they are positive goals. Many people have trouble trying to figure out what they want their goals to be - parents and teens alike. It's so much easier for us to make a list of the things we don't want so why not start there? Make a list of those things you don't want - and turn them into positives. For example, if I say I don't want to be overweight, I can turn that around to be I want to reach and maintain my ideal weight. Another example could be, I don't want to always be late to school, I can turn that around to be I want to be early and unrushed for school this year. When we turn it into a positive statement, then we're moving towards something we want and we're more apt to get it. You are more likely to be motivated to achieve your goal when it is a positive thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...